Sunday, December 31, 2023





"Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus."  Philippians 4: 6-7


2023

When God, in His sovereignty, gave me the above passage this time last year as my life verse for 2023, only He knew what it would come to mean to me as my husband, my children and myself passed through some immense change, blessing, trials and joys in 2023.  I confess, I am excited to leave 2023 behind.  At the same time, it was such a sweet year.  I will never forget this past 12 months as I reflect on God's beautiful and sufficient provision for us one day at a time all.year.long.

There were days I quoted Philippians 4:6-7 to myself multiple times a day.  As anxiety attacked my heart like never before in my life, I would quote it in desperation, reminding myself and the enemy of my soul that anxiety would not define me but a prayerful heart and a spirit of gratitude would be my portion.  And by God's amazing grace, I experienced an underriding sense of peace that could have come only from Above.  I am so grateful to my heavenly Father for not only seeing us through the bumps and turns of 2023 but allowing us to flourish and find rest for our souls in spite of some tough experiences.

February was marked by the realization that our desire and prayers for an opportunity to leave the state of California may be coming true.  March saw us accepting a job transfer to the great state of Texas.  In April, we said goodbye to our husband and daddy and started a two month separation which is never easy and even more so as we made a huge life transition as a family but separated by almost 2000 miles.  In May, the children and I (with the help of family, friends and our church family) packed up the belongings I didn't sell or give away and sent them away in a UPack trailer, cleaned our rental of only 9 months and said goodbye to dozens of family members and dear friends.  2000 miles away Everson and our dear realtor friend faithfully searched for a rental we could afford in a city that is known for having way too few rentals for families.  Literally hours before I needed to give an address to our moving company, we found and signed on a 2 year lease.  Just in time!  

June found us four headed by car to our new state, one which I had only ever flown through two of it's major airports.  Everson flew to California to drive out with us and after one day of travel, he had a horrific health crisis that left him hospitalized for five days in New Mexico and the children and I getting to know Alburquerque, N.M. as we waited for him to stabalize enough to drive the remaining two days to our new city.  We moved into our new home on June 20th and began the rather time consuming and sometimes frustrating job of address change notifications, car registrations, bank changes, document updating, etc.  We just completed that process with the arrival of Everson's USA passport on Christmas Eve.  He is now officially an American passport holder!  Wew!  Can we say "deep sigh of relief" to finally have that list all checked off?

Everson and I both have walked our own health journeys the past six months since moving to Texas.  I have written more at length in previous posts.  Mine personally has been a somewhat private and very painful journey but again, the passage that God have me one year ago became incredibly vital to me living out the Gospel day in and day out.  For modeling Christ-likeness and joy in suffering for my children who watch my every move.  For trusting as we have adjusted to one income so I can be home with my children through this time of transition and adjustment.  For learning to trust God with absolutely everything in my life: my health, my children, my husband, for funds to pay the bills this month.

If I told of how God has provided over and over and over again through His people, it would take a book and I would be bawling all over again.  God used our church in California, our family and our new church to bless us financially so many times I would have lost count if I had not journaled every single gift.  How we prayed for God's provision for a new car and literally 24 hours later we received a substantial gift from a completely unexpected (when is such a gift expected?!) source that humbled us and amazed our children at how God was already providing for a great need (we haven't needed to replace that car yet for which we are so grateful and know when the time comes God will provide the rest needed!).  How I was paying bills before the holidays and prayed, thanking God that He knows our needs and desire to provide well for the visitors He was sending us, and how someone at church wanted to bless us anonymously and gave us a ham and grocery gift card through one of our pastors.  

I share this cap of our 2023 to encourage your heart and remind you that His word is powerful and is able to transform us from the inside out.  When we are able to apply His word and live the gospel in our lives and homes day in and day out, He is so so faithful and able to truly transform us into His image.  I have so far to go.  How I need Him.  How I need His Word.  How I want to live authentically and justly and humbly before Him in all things He allows in my life in the year ahead.  How utterly dependent I am on Him and His grace.

I don't know what the next 12 months hold for our family.  God is up to some pretty big things in my husband's health journey so pray for us as you remember us.  Please feel free to reach out in private messages if you wish to know more.  It all looks big and quite scary from a human perspective but God!  We will move forward in faith and prayer and with hearts overflowing with thanksgiving!

I will end my last post of 2023 with a photo dump!  You have been warned! 😄 We have had so many special visitors the last weeks and we have been so blessed by each one.  Happy 2024 to each of our readers.  We are grateful for each one of you.  Incredibly grateful!  

Girls morning out with my dear SIL Tati and daughter!

My brother and sister in law spent November with us


We took many fun outings, one of our favs was NASA space center





The week before Christmas found us receiving very special visitors from Southern California

Loving the Vietnamese culture they brought to our week



Museum of Natural Science



Oh we do love us a good Blue Bell ice cream!




We have enjoyed a long and sweet friendship of oh, only about 27 years.  I was a 19 year old intern when I met her and she supervised my internship.  She has walked many a path with me over the years and I am so grateful for her friendship.  It was pure joy to have her and her little family with us for a few days last week.




Oh my heart!  It is overflowing with JOY!
These three special, special people arrived Thursday night after a rather LONG three day trip south.

So far we have enjoyed Brazos Bend State Park (thank you Pastor Abe for that fantastic recommendation!) and saw several alligators and other wild life.  We have visited the Houston tunnels (thank you Joel for telling us about those!) and ate great downtown food.  All, I might add, in some 75 degree weather.  It is absolutely beautiful in our neck of the nation.  Can we say yes to warm Christmas weather?!😁











May the Lord bless you and keep you!





No comments:

Post a Comment