Sunday, September 20, 2020

Put Off-Put On

 

Ephesians 6 "Battle Ready"

As Christians if we have ever seen the need to be "battle ready"it is NOW.  The last few months (6 to be exact) have shown me like never before that we are in a spiritual battle and it must be dealt with as such if we are ever to see healing for ourselves, our families and our land.  Our families are under attack, our health is under attack, our churches are under attack, our nation is under attack.  We never could have imagined the dire consequences of deciding we no longer needed GOD in our nation, our schools or our government.  As I have observed Christians the last few months, I have been heartbroken to see how very little God I see in us, His people.  Social media is full of both sides of a spectrum, with both sides throwing stones and judgements as to what is right, what is healthy, what is safe and how to love our neighbor.  

As I listened to the sermon this morning on Ephesians 6 I was convicted.  Am I putting off self and putting on the Spirit?  Am I putting off my ideas of comfort and health and putting on the armour of God, ready and willing to engage in the spiritual battle that is on my door step?  I have found myself so emotionally and spiritually (not to mention physically) exhausted the last 6 months that I have found myself more often hiding at home and withdrawing emotionally from others (yes, sometimes even from the ones that are the closest to me) than engaging in warfare on the frontlines of the battle.  So, yes.  I was convicted.  And encouraged.  And uncomfortable.  

I have struggled with real depression the last months.  I have friends who are even in deeper than I.  People are scared, some financially ruined while others have only benefited by this years outbreak, some are truly sick with many other issues than Covid, many are struggling intensely with depression, hopelessnes, profound loneliness.  Am I willing to get my garb on and get out there and join people in their ugliness, their brokenness, their "dirt"or am I willing to just stay at home, safe with my little family (and God knows the battle is here too!) and play it safe and sound?  This is what I am reflecting on this afternoon.  

Once again it's been months since I gave any attention to this little blog.  We've had another stint of unemployment for the man, children are still studying at home on the computer, mommy is still working almost full time, I have been working through some health issues which led to some significant weight loss and finally feeling better.  I celebrated my 43rd birthday is royal style, followed closely with Little brother's 7th, also celebrated royally.  We started back to church on the lawn and have had some good times together as a family in spite of the intense California summer heat, overwhelming smoke from hundreds of fires and Covid disrupting about every area of life.  God is good.  Even in the pain.  In the loss.  In the disappointments.  He is God and He is GOOD.

 Chloe decorating her first cake ever for Noah's 7th birthday.  He wanted red, blue and white "because those are super hero colors!"
Our new happy place is along the river about 40 minute drive from our house.  

Chloe is convinced she will find gold along the river!

On some days the children simply invented their own way of keeping cool.
August 10 saw them going back to school.  5th grade and 1st grade, where we come..on the computer!  There have been many days of frustration and tears.  Some days the disappointment of not being at school is still overwhelming.  Mostly we just wallow in His grace, one moment at a time.
This is significant to me as I have had a grand challenge of instilling a love of reading in my children.  This night they both fell asleep with their books.  I almost cried it made me so happy!!!
We have spent many happy hours riding bikes, swimming or just playing with our two dear cousins this summer.
She has blessed me over and over by stopping in with fresh flowers this summer, just because.  My table has rarely not had her garden's beauty gracing it for months now.  To me, they are not only gorgeous but speak of her love and kindness in my life.
And then there is her mother, my aunt, who single-handedly kept us in tomatoes, green beans, watermelons, canteloupe and corn all summer long, never accepting anything in return except "please come back when you run out." Their generosity and love speak volumes and show Jesus to us in such practical, beautiful ways. 
Happy Father's Day to our daddy and husband.  We may never know how tough the last 21 months have been for him, but Tuesday, September 22 he will go to work.  Not a temp job.  Not through a temp agency but with a real company, with benefits, with real hours and hopefully, it will be steady income for our family for the first time since we left Brazil 21 months ago.  We are so grateful.
It is way too much fun to live three houses down from uncle and auntie and the girls.  We love when they stop in and this was especially exciting as the children got an unusual ride around the countryside!
This picture still makes me weepy.  Not because I had a thing to do with it but because in the Spring, this Grammy and Auntie stepped up to the plate and schooled these kiddos in tandom form and as HARD as it all was, they finished well.  Auntie prepared certificates for them of accomplishment and the girls prepared speeches and Grammy gave a speech of accomplishments and we had a delicious dinner together.  


Whatever would we do without G and G B's pool and their willingness to have us there swimming over and over and over?  Hours of refreshment, conversation, pool games and more often than not, ice cream treats.  

We still pray for miracles and breakthrough.  We are waiting on the Lord for several things but we continue to see His grace and mercy covering us, holding us, embracing us, protecting us.  When I think of how healthy we four have been through all the challenges of this year, I get wet eyes.  My husband is healthier than he has ever been in his life.  My children have barely even had common colds or coughs.  I get a horrific cough every single winter that lasts weeks but not this year (I would have never been able to work where I do with any cough at all).  We have had many months where there wasn't enough salary coming in to even cover our bills but we have not faulted on one single payment. Ever.  Our cars are older but just keep running.  We are so blessed.  

God's people have continued to bless our socks off with their generosity and if you are reading this and you blessed us at any time during the last 1 1/2 years in any form, THANK YOU.  From gifts of veggies, groceries, cards full of cash or a check, notes reminding us you love us and care, inviting us for meals and swim times, inviting us to your small group, sending me texts of "how are you"or "you've been on my mind." Thank you.  Only the Lord knows what a tremendous blessing you are in our lives.  How I pray we will be as generous and gracious with what God has placed in our hands today.

Have a blessed week and remember, to put off and put on are ACTION words.  "When I have done what He has asked me to do, He will do what I cannot." -pastor K from the sermon this morning.

                                                                   Blessings galore, 

                                                                                   Jama

2 comments:

  1. Love love love reading this and know you are loved and prayed for from me. So excited that Everson will start his new job tomorrow. Woohoo, God is good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Jama, this post makes me so happy. It blesses my heart to know how much you have been the recipients of so much kindness and love from family and friends. And it blesses my heart to read how appreciative you are for all these gifts of tender love and mercy.
    I love you and miss you and your sweet family so much!

    ReplyDelete