Sunday, May 27, 2018

Joy in the Strikes

Photo courtesy of Google Images

Today marks the 7th day of the nationwide trucking strike in Brazil.

A country that depends entirely on the trucking business.

While the strike is entirely understandable and probably necessary, (truckers work ridiculously long hours, often with little to no benefits, astronomical highway toll fees and the ever increasing cost of gasoline/alcohol/diesel) when they stop, the country stops.  As of Friday there was no longer gasoline or alcohol available to be bought at any price.  Facebook is full of jokes by Brazilians themselves that people are willing to trade their beach homes for five liters of gasoline for their car.  Many people I know haven't been able to use their cars for several days now.

On my way home from school Wednesday evening, I began seeing this at every.single.gas.station.I.passed and with a sinking heart knew something was up.

Photo courtesy of Google Images
Thursday morning, with every fiber of my being rebelling at the situation, I got in line.  I was super blessed to not wait more than 10 minutes and was even more blessed there was still gas to fill up my tank.  We are among the few.  As of today, Sunday, I am praying over the huge gas tanks that are lined up outside each building in our condominium, supplying us with the needed gas to use our stoves.  We have no idea how many more days they will last.  If that gas gives out, we will use our George Foreman grill and our microwave.

I went Friday afternoon to do our regular monthly shopping, having no idea what I would find: empty shelves, crazy long lines to get into the parking lot, into the store and through the cashier?  I found none of the above and just thanked God I was able to get almost all our normal purchases for the month.  Our small, local grocery store continues to be well stocked as of this morning when Everson went to buy fresh bread but we hear stories of many locked up stores in other cities and regions that have nothing left to sell.  The chatting in the park yesterday was by tomorrow if no agreements are arrived at, there will no longer be buses or school vans and teachers won't be able to get to school.  It is said that while many ambulances in the city sit quietly much of the time, the few that do circulate are out of gas.  I nearly cried when I saw an interview with a young woman who had to cancel her wedding this weekend because her guests could not get here.  Or the dialysis patients who are wondering if they will get their treatments this coming week.  So, far my father-in-law has been reassured he will get his treatments with no issue.  That hits home for us.

This is our life in Brazil today.  I am trying to find joy in the journey because actually striking is super common here.  Imagine when it is the garbage truck drivers. 


Photo courtesy of Google Images

The stench and filth of our megacity, which on a normal day can be overwhelming, becomes unbearable.  Or when the metro system shuts down.  Or the bus drivers decide to fight for their rights.

Photo courtesy of Google Images

People can't get to work.  People can't get to the hospital.  Life is already hard in our megacity in so many ways.  It is always the population, the normal, everyday citizen who just wants to get to work so he can pay his bills and the dedicated parent who just wants to buy bread for her children on the way home from work tonight, who suffers.  It breaks my heart to watch. 

Worse even when it the police force.  Oh, yes.  They do that on occasion as well.  All hell breaks loose.

This is our world.  Overrun with corruption.  Unrest.  Economic recession.  Unemployment on the rise.  Cost of living continuing to skyrocket with unmatched salary raises.  The Brazilian Real dropping steadily.  Every single month it costs me more to feed my family.  And we know we are among the most blessed.  We are both working.  We are not in debt.  Our house is paid for.  Our car is paid for.  We are so well off.

There are days, like today, that I hate it here.  My heart breaks for this people I love so deeply.  Our people.  My people.  But most days I love it.  Most days I am so grateful for the opportunity to be an ex-pat in a Latin American city.  It is never dull.  You never know what tomorrow will bring.  Today we hope and pray for the Brazilian "jeitinho," the notorious way Brazilians always, always, always come through at the very last, possible moment and it all works out just fine.

However, if it doesn't, I am at peace.  God is in control.  He loves this beautiful country and her people more than I do.  He loves my family more than I do.  We will be just fine.  I don't know how or when but it will all be okay.

"If you have time, listen to this beautiful song that says in Portuguese, "It has already all worked out!"  We need to put our faith into action because it will all be okay!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t914ufMAKiU

Have a blessed weekend.  The upside to our national crisis, is we are saving our gas for our work/school week and spending the weekend hibernating at home.  It.is.marvelous!

                                                                 Joy in this crazy Journey,
                                                                                      Jama

No comments:

Post a Comment